HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR RUGS
It’s best to get your Oriental rug professionally cleaned every 1-3 years, depending on the amount of traffic it encounters. Of course, if damage occurs, you should contact a professional immediately for cleaning, restoration, and repairs. In between cleanings, there are several things you can do at home to extend the life of your Oriental rug:
- Vacuum Often. Vacuuming your rug regularly will remove daily dirt and grime, and keep the fibers from becoming too packed down.
- Avoid Sunlight. Want to keep your Oriental rug from fading? Put it in the shade! Position your rug so it avoids sunlight to keep the colors looking vibrant.
- Turn it. One of the simplest ways to extend the life of your rug is to rotate it every three to six months. This helps cut down on excess wear and tear in one area of the rug. Rotate your rug during the semi-annual time change or as part of your seasonal deep cleaning.
- Fix the Fringe. Over time, fringe can become tangled and knotted. While fringe can be replaced, repairs can be costly. A simpler at-home treatment is to de-tangle your rug’s fringe on a regular basis by flipping the rug end over end and shaking it a bit. Whatever you do, don’t “comb” the fringe as this will cause the fibers to deteriorate.
- Spot Clean Regularly. Spills and stains are bound to happen. As with any fabric, you should spot-treat spills immediately to avoid a stain setting in. If the stain is large, or if it sets in, contact your area professional rug cleaner for assistance.
- Give it Air. Mold, mildew, and dry rot are an Oriental rug’s biggest enemies. To combat these, give your rug some fresh air every few months. Hanging it outside will dry any damp spots and help freshen the rug.
PROFESSIONAL ORIENTAL RUG CLEANING IN NORTHBROOK
Any Oriental rug owner knows that finding a trusted professional rug cleaner is vital to extending the life of your rug. Each rug is unique, so it’s important to find someone who understands how to assess and care for your rug. Here are three qualities to look for in a professional rug cleaner:
- Longevity. Experts, like rugs, should get better with age. Look for someone who has been around for a while and has built a solid business. This person has likely handled countless rugs similar to yours and has a proven track record of expert care.
- Customization. No two rugs are alike, and no two care plans should be alike. Find a cleaner who provides customized care options that account for the unique factors affecting your rug.
- On-Site Assessment. Oriental rugs are rarely easy to move, and if a rug is fragile, you don’t want to risk additional damage trying to take it to a cleaner. Find a professional who will come to you for evaluation, and will also pick up and deliver your rug.
CALL THE AREA RUG CLEANING PROS
Northbrook area rug owners know that Glencoe Oriental Rug Pros are the proven experts for rug cleaning, repair, and restoration. Although Oriental rugs are our specialty, we are well equipped to treat a variety of hand-woven rugs as well as high end machine crafted carpets. We provide no-obligation evaluations and customized care plans because we know each rug is as unique as its owner. Our hand-washing process provides exquisite care for your rug and ensures a deep clean that won’t compromise the structural integrity of your Oriental rug’s fibers and colors. Our methods ensure your rug maintains its natural appearance and will last for years to come.